Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kampala.

I am here! In Kampala finally. And it is pretty intense. I've been here for just about a week at this point. Time is flying. We are staying in downtown Kampala, in a suite close to the city center. Most people commute in to the city during the day for work, and go back to the "suburbs" where they live, so it's a little different to live right here, but nice and convenient. 

Kampala is... not exactly what I expected. The people here are incredibly friendly. Everyone asks about how you are, and how your family is, and they are honestly interested. The temperature is fantastic (I don't miss the freezing winter), and there is only a bit of rain every day. It isn't supposed to be the rainy season yet, but apparently global warming even effects Uganda as the seasons have become more unpredictable lately. The city is pretty massive, there are people and cars everywhere. They drive on the other side of the road, and crossing the streets is a little stressful to say the least. We'll just say there doesn't really appear to be any rules when it comes to driving... 

I have already started working at AMICAALL (Alliance of Mayors' Initiative for Community Action on AIDS at the Local Level). I'm working on a project involving getting information and programs about HIV/AIDS available to the vulnerable youth in urban center. It's really interesting, the people are great, and I'm learning a lot. Tomorrow I am starting volunteering at another organization called Reach Out. RO is more hands on. It's located in the slums in Mbuya, and it's a completely different experience from the city. My first official day is tomorrow, I should be working in microfinance as well as with the Roses of Mbuya project. It is similar to the work I did in Guatemala with the women's co-operative of women weavers, so that will be very interesting to compare the two.

Time is definitely moving quickly, and I'm finally just getting settled. I'll try to be better at posting...

No comments: